What is an Active School?
The Active School Flag is a Department of Education and Skills initiative which recognises schools that strive to achieve a physically educated and physically active school community, by awarding them with the Active School Flag (ASF).
The Active School Flag will be awarded to schools that:
- Adhere to DES guidelines regarding PE timetable provision for all students
- Teach a broad and balanced PE curriculum
- Inform and invite the whole school community to participate in the ASF process
- Self-evaluate current provision in terms of PE, Physical Activity and Partnerships
- Plan, implement and monitor improvements for each of the aforementioned areas
- Organise an ‘Active School Week’ as part of the annual school calendar
The programme encourages all schools to evaluate their current provision of P.E. and extracurricular sports activities for the children and increases parents’ awareness of facilities, teams and clubs in our area. This is a non-competitive initiative highlighting the importance of physical activity in and sport in schools and communities in which they are based.
We are working towards our second Active Flag. Click on the buttons below to find out more about our active school community.